Sunday, March 18, 2012

Grace Valley Overture

My dad is a cool guy (if I do say so myself)...



If you remember from a past blog post, he is a published composer of school band music.  Since he writes about 5 new pieces per year and has had an influx of grandchildren in the past few years, he decided that he would write and dedicate a song to each of his grandchildren.  He then gives the kids the royalties from their songs so that they can start their college funds.  Awesome, I know!


So Jaynee's song is called "Grace Valley Overture."  A few weeks ago, my dad mentioned in passing that the local middle school was playing Jaynee's song at a concert.  My mind must have been cluttered that day, because it wasn't until I was falling asleep that night that it hit me - it would be cool if Jaynee could hear her song being played in person.  I couldn't remember if my Dad mentioned the date of the concert, so I asked him the following day.  It was then that he told me that they had asked him to be the guest conductor for that song.  That sealed the deal for me. Jaynee hearing HER song...being performed LIVE...directed by her GRANDPA??  We were so there!  Here is a little snippet from that night...


If you want to hear the full versions of Gavin and Jaynee's songs played by the publisher's orchestra, here are their links:



I am so grateful for my dad for SO many reasons.  I know that this gift he has given his grandchildren will be something that they will always treasure.  

Love you, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment