2. The pediatric orthopedist only keeps spica casts on for FOUR WEEKS. Half the time of the last cast. Granted, Gavin will not walk for another two to three weeks after getting it off...but still!
3. Doernbecher will not send home a child in a spica cast without a specially designed loaner car seat. (Which is why we stayed at Doernbecher an extra night...they didn't have one ready). I am AMAZED at how comfortable Gavin is in this car seat!
4. They also sent us home only after first having an HOUR long consultation with an occupational therapist. I was amazed at how much information we got this time around! Of course, we had already figured out a lot of it through trial and error last time but one of the main ideas for toileting that we are using now came from this saintly lady!
So although we were kind of pushed into going to Doernbecher because they wanted to look into other bone problems Gavin might have (to rule out child abuse...did I mention that in the last post?? Yeah...nightmare) ANYWAY...although the reason for going to Doernbecher was a bummer to begin with, we are so grateful we went!
BECAUSE WE HAVE DONE THIS SPICA CAST THING BEFORE...
5. We didn't have to waste the first week at home trying to figure everything out. We had the wheelchair waiting for us when we got home, my mom had already found some long pants that fit the requirements for spica cast modification, and we had the major spica cast secret (BEANBAG CHAIR!) waiting to come downstairs.
6. We were able to focus our attention on the one thing we DIDN'T do the last time, which was encourage Gavin to use the toilet. Wonder how we do that?? #1 goes in a handheld urinal (which he thinks is so cool - he even shared that at Primary this last Sunday "I pee in a cup!") #2 goes in the toilet. He sits backwards on the toilet (idea from the OT) and I sit in a chair behind him and prop him up. (He also loves this...he's even fallen asleep in this position!) What a blessing it has been to not be worried about the cleanliness of that area of the cast!
BECAUSE GAVIN WAS A LITTLE OLDER THIS TIME...
7. The doctors let him pick a color for his cast. It literally GLOWS when we are outside at twilight! 8. He is more easily entertained AND I can trust him with activities like painting!
Oh. My. Goodness. Between this and the last post, I just admire you more and more. I don't think anyone could not have helped but break down when hearing the news of a second femur fracture! I really hope it is just bad luck and that there isn't some underlying cause. I'm so glad you have family close and such a strong support system! My goodness, what a wild ride within the last what, year and a half? Anyway, I read these two posts aloud to Tate and we both agree, you two are both so strong and such an example of faith!
ReplyDeleteYou can do it.
xoxo