Monday, April 11, 2011

Last Monday



So let me tell you a little bit about last Monday. Most of you know where this story is headed, while a few of you may not...


Last Monday started off on a very productive note...we were dressed and in the car by 9:00 and we spent the entire morning working on various errands: recycling grocery sacks, shopping, bill-paying, visiting the library, dropping off something for Jared at work, and (the epitome of all things productive) taking back pop cans. And, fellow young moms, you know when the stars align and the kids just happen to cooperate during this ENTIRE list of errands?? Yeah, it was SERIOUSLY one of those days. The only correction I had to give to Gavin the whole morning was to ask him to sit down in the cart while I was putting the cans in the machine...it is a familiar conversation that goes like this: "Remember when you broke your leg and had to be in a cast? Your leg can break much easier now and so you have to be EXTRA careful to not fall and get hurt." Yes, we literally had that conversation last Monday morning.



Fast forward to last Monday afternoon. I had continued my productive day by working on cleaning the house during nap time. When Gavin woke up, he mosied into the living room where he watched a show or two while I worked on the cleaning. After wrapping up the main living space, I had Gavin help me clean his room after which he and Jaynee proceeded to play while I got the vaccuum ready. I plugged the vaccuum into the outlet in the kitchen (the nearest three-prong outlet) and started in the living room at the other end of the house.



This is the instant where life changed. I know that's cliche, but it's SO true. The kids were literally in front of me, playing "chicken" with the vaccuum one second, and the next I hear a "THUD" behind me. I turn around and find Gavin crumpled on the floor at the entrance to the kitchen. It doesn't take long to realize that he is really hurting - clutching at his knee every time his leg moves. I called my parents who, after helping me brainstorm possible injuries and treatment options (at this point I was thinking it was a knee dislocation or something), helped me get Gavin to the ER (my dad watching Jaynee at our house while my mom drove us up the hill to the hospital).



There are no rooms available at the ER, so Gavin is put on a bed in the hallway. They bring over a portable x-ray to do some preliminary films. This is when it starts to feel like the professionals stop talking TO us and start talking AROUND us - and all we can do it try to piece together the little bits of information that we can gather and hold on to hope. That is, until a nurse pops his head into the hallway and asks "didn't he break his other one last summer?" I nod my head, unable to form the words to ask the question that my mom (bless her heart) asked for me at that exact moment.



"Is it his FEMUR??"



Our nurse nods his head and, I must admit, Supermommy Monday ended there (as if it hadn't been shot to pieces before that) because Mommy LOST it. All at once this wave of memory came flooding over me...it didn't take long because the memories didn't have to travel too far from the recesses of my brain - they were still so FRESH! Spica cast, diaper changes, modified clothes, wheelchair, and (worst of all) the horrific pain Gavin would have to endure.





I've got to condense this a little bit...I called Jared with the news, so he came up to the ER. We told the doctor we would not be taking him home in a splint like we did last time, so that was Gavin's first of three nights in the hospital. He was transferred to Doernbecher in Portland the next day where he underwent extensive x-rays and blood tests to determine a possible cause for two femur fractures. His cast was put on the following morning.




It is right here that I must pause to thank the amazing support system we had during this difficult time. My parents who made trips back and forth to Portland, my mom staying in the hospital with me and my dad taking care of Jaynee overnight. My sister-in-law Darcey who watched Jaynee for two days. Jared's sister Lacey who brought us snacks, dinner and her good company while we were in Doernbecher. And the other friends and family who showed their love for us with visits, gifts, and phone calls. I also have to mention my gratitude for Jared, who continued to go to work when all he really wanted to do was stay by Gavin's bedside (he doesn't get paid sick leave at his job, and with medical bills adding up we knew it was best if he continued to work).

Thus far, the tests have shown no bone abnormalities or vitamin deficiencies. The doctors are calling it "horrible luck." (I would have to call that the understatement of the year.) Most importantly, Gavin is feeling better every day and he is getting adjusted to being in a spica cast again. It is the worst feeling in the world when your child is in pain, so every slight improvement in his condition is a celebration for our family. Stay tuned for the next part of the story (it will be more uplifting, I promise)...


**Photos courtesy of my mom's iPod during our stay at Doernbecher**

2 comments:

  1. That is just so terrible. I almost got teary eyed just reading it! Wish we could have been there to help ease the burden but glad you have so much other help there. Wishing Gavin a speedy and not too painful recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Steph, I am so sorry. Poor little guy. I hope everything is better this time and that he heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete