Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Farewell, Freaky Friend

I guess to begin this eulogy, I should explain how our friend came into our lives. We were introduced at the Girls Night Out gift exchange years back, where I had her in my possession and she was "stolen". At least a year later, she was returned to me as a "gift" and promptly put in our office closet for use at a later white elephant gift exchange. While cleaning out said closet several months ago in preparation for Matt moving in, Gavin found - and promptly adopted - the three-faced baby. Yes, this baby has three heads, complete with a rubber knob (sadly disguised as a pony tail) on top of her head. The age-stained head squeaks as you turn it from face to face. Gavin also likes to narrate as he turns, telling you if "Baby Cry" "Baby Happy" or "Baby afweep".

Well, tonight we were met with tragedy. Gavin had put Baby in Mommy's chair, a fact that I was not fully aware of until I was halfway into the chair, with Gavin in my arms, getting ready for our nightly rocking routine. Halfway down, Gavin says "Baby! Baby!" but there is no stopping a pregnant woman from sitting down once she has started. So then, I try what used to be the normal maneuver of shifting my weight so I could get her out of such a precarious position, but my weight did not "shift". Not thinking, I yanked anyway and heard a RIP! And, well, you can see the rest.

I can't decide what's worse, Three Faced Baby or Three Faced Head Detached from Body...you be the judge.

And so you can see the three faces (if you have never been blessed with a face to face to face to face encounter)...






As you can see, the wood knobby base for the head will easily go back into the doll. It does, but she just isn't the same. With a little TLC, I'm sure she would be back to her old creepy self but I'm thinking it is time to say goodbye. Maybe this is a sign??

4 comments:

  1. This post cracks me up. You made my night. Hope things are going good besides the trauma to the 3 faced baby. We are excited to meet the new baby. Let us know if we can help you in anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is the craziest and funniest doll i've ever seen, it needs to live on. it should be put back together and sent it on it's way to entertain someone else for awhile. you could send it to me, i'm sure eden would love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. time to say bu-bye to such a creepy toy...holy crow, can you imagine that ever selling in the store???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the doll is really creepy, but I bet it would sell big on ebay. Maybe it's a collector's item.

    ReplyDelete