The kids were in pretty good spirits this morning, so I decided to work on an assignment that was due tonight by midnight rather than wait until this evening. The TV was on to help entertain Gavin while I was working and as long as Gavin's attention is elsewhere, Jaynee is fine also. Today, though, Gavin was more into bothering his sister than watching TV, and so after a couple of warnings I put him in timeout, with a statement that the TV was going to be off when he got out of timeout because he was being too naughty with it on.
After getting out of timeout, he proceeded to ask me probably every minute or two if he could watch something on TV (he even changed the show each time he asked, apparently thinking that may change my mind). I decided to put a sign on the TV that said "No", thinking that even if it didn't stop the questioning he might learn a sight word in the process. :) I explained what the sign said and that it was there to remind him that the TV was going to stay off.
Fast forward about half an hour. I was almost done with my assignment when Gavin's little voice said "Can I have a piece of paper?" Grateful that he was going to entertain himself with drawing, I gave him a piece of paper and a pen. I had to stop what I was doing to listen to his muttering, because it really did crack me up. As he was drawing, he was saying "I'm going to put this on the TV." When he was finished, he was struggling with figuring out how to stick it on the TV, so I finally had to give in to curiosity and ask him what was on his paper.
He said "It say 'Good boy'. I watch TV now?"
As hard as it was to choke back the laughter and not give in to his cuteness, I told him no and encouraged him to go back to playing with his toys. BUT only after helping him tape his "good boy" sign over mine.
Because at the end of the day, no matter how many new gray hairs I have as a result of our interactions, that's really what he is. Our good boy.
Oh, Steph this post made me smile. I have similar days with my little boy.
ReplyDelete