We enjoyed a lot of great food and fun on Sunday, and we were looking forward to two more days with Jared at home.
Monday morning rolled around and I wanted to hit an early-bird sale before we decided on a family activity for the day, so Jared took Gavin to the park while Jaynee and I went to Fred's. I got back to the house, expecting someone to be there but Gavin and Jared weren't there and I couldn't get an answer on Jared's cell phone. My parents got back to the house and asked if Jared had gotten in touch with me - he had been trying but my phone was dead. They said he was asking about urgent cares in the area (there is only the ER) because Gavin had fallen at the park. I quickly left for the ER thinking maybe Gavin had a sprained ankle, at the VERY worst (I had yet to get a hold of Jared, so I wasn't even 100% sure that they were at the ER). When I got there, the receptionist led me to an exam room where three paramedics, one doctor, and a nurse were surrounding the bed where our poor little boy was lying {cue my tears}. Jared told me that Gavin had broken his femur after an awkward fall from a swing and they were in the process of putting his leg in traction. We left the hospital that day with Gavin's leg in a splint, awaiting an appointment for a cast the following day. You all don't need details - I'm sure you can imagine what kind of night poor little Gavin had.
Then started the process of learning how to go about life. We experimented with a toddler wheelchair (above) but it just wasn't working - he kept sliding out. So yesterday I exchanged it for a reclining wheelchair (below) and although it's HUGE, Gavin has been much more comfortable "sitting up".
One thing I need to say is that this experience has shown me how QUICKLY an everyday activity can turn into something else. But I have been so grateful for the blessings we have received during this hard time. Heavenly Father answers prayers! Also, I need to say what a huge help my parents have been - I could not survive with Jared at work without their support. I also can't believe what a good sport Gavin has been - he is an AMAZING little boy and we are so blessed to have him in our family!
!!!!! I knew he had broken his little leg, but I didn't realize it was his femur! OH! You guys, I wish we were closer so that we could help out too! I'm glad that you're being taken care of...thinking of you from a distance! xoxo
ReplyDeletePoor little guy! My thoughts are with you Steph!
ReplyDeletethat's got to be so rough on him, having to sit around all day! and for you trying to keep him happy and entertained. how long does he have it for?
ReplyDelete