Friday, January 8, 2010

Never Say Never...

Alright, so I preface this post by saying that I was the person who really wasn't a fan of putting cartoon characters on infants and such - I mean really: why pay extra for the cartoon character PJ's before it's REALLY necessary (ie before they're screaming a character's name in the store because they saw their favorite character on a T-Shirt)?
So I'm looking at Gavin eating his breakfast this morning and I realized how FAR motherhood has made me stray from my initial feelings about commercial characters on children's things. I always said I would leave it for my kids to decide when they wanted to be advertising a character and guess what - - it is clear from looking around our house that Gavin has decided:


He wakes up and (after making sure we haven't missed Elmo's World on TV) eats his breakfast. He DOES seem to eat more when he has Elmo fork in hand (notice the empty bowl).

On days like today, when he's wearing his "mehmo pee-yays" it's hard to convince him to get dressed - so he strolls around the house in his PJs, usually trying to convince me to put on an Elmo DVD (as in this picture).


And, if you were wondering, he does have Elmo slippers. He was actually wearing them last night, but kicked them off from his high chair.

By the time I convince him to get dressed (and that his Elmo PJs are dirty and need to go in the hamper), it's pretty much nap time. Yes, he had a death grip on the Elmo video and just kept saying "mehmo nap, mehmo nap" until I let him take the video with him.


And what Elmo obsession would be complete without the potty chair that congratulates you in three different languages?? (Yes, I know the seat isn't all the way on the chair - he prefers to perch the seat on the toilet)

I have one other picture I would love to show, but would rather not share it with the world at large (yes, I flatter myself by thinking that more than 5 people read this blog). It shows that we have even gone so far as to buy the "mehmo unners" (underwear) in the course of potty training. And it doesn't end there - besides what I've shown we also have numerous toys, books and even a sweatshirt. I know, some of you are probably wondering if this is really STEPHANIE! I just wanted to remind everyone with this post that, truly, MOTHERHOOD CHANGES EVERYTHING! :)

So although I don't plan on buying my infant daughter Disney Princess rompers, I am sure I will suck it up and buy a few tiaras when she's old enough to ask. Hopefully pink doesn't clash with red!! :)

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! we're suckers for our kids...it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eden loves elmo too and someone gave us a cheer outfit with elmo on it. she found it one day in the back of her clostet and now i have to hide it or she wants to put it on over whatever she's wearing for atleast two days! i'm serious, she wore it two days straight, to bed and everything.

    ReplyDelete